Saturday, May 7, 2011

To Nuwakot then Baironi

One of the advantages of getting up early is to see the sunrise and the mountains when they are clearest.  But, since the mountains are still mystic, it is masala chai time in the village.  The rest of the tour group is still in bed when I go to the closest village and seek out a chai shop.  Many people are already up and starting their daily chores which include stopping for chai.  Sometimes I sit with the other men, sometimes several kids come up to me and ask my name and where I am from, sometimes I drink alone, but always it is interesting to see the village by myself. 

One day I watched a goat being slaughtered for the daily meat.  Seeing this reminded me how far removed we are from actual food processing in our urban living.


On the drive to Nuwakot, just west of Kathmandu, I am amazed at the number of terraces that have been built for farming.  From the valley to thousands of feet up the mountainside terraces provide space for planting. 
Some terraces are flooded for rice, some irrigated for grains and corn, and others only receive natural rainfall.
 

At a rest stop we saw groups of women in traditional dress going to a local celebration. 
Several weeks before our trip a local bus ran off the road at a sharp curve.  It is still precariously perched on a steep slope on the side of the road.

We arrived at the Famous Farm Homestay in time to relax,
enjoy the view of the valley,
and meet local inhabitants.
We walked through the local village, Nuwakot,
and enjoyed several building’s architecture
and the many bells at the Shiva temple. 
We continued our assessment of village raski (sp?) (Nuwakot’s has a smoky taste),
and had a great sunset.

After a nice breakfast on the lawn, we drove to Baironi on the Trisuli River. 
Along the drive there were many suspension bridges that allowed access to all the villages on the opposite side of the river from the road. 
Everything needed or produced by the village is carried across the bridge either by people or animals.

At Baironi we boarded our raft for two days on the Trisuli River.  Next blog….white water rafting Nepali style….


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post. I am a Nepali and haven't been to Nuwakot. Your pics inspired me to take a trip there this weekend!

    ReplyDelete